Re: Re: The BatBlat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:02:03 -0800

> Its nice to see that all the actually good bits of my email were left to
> one side :)

Oh, you *wanted* me to work them over?

giant bats moving like tiny
> ones 'because its jus magic, you know?' I can't.
>
> How about we focus on a Gloranthan, mythical way in which this most
> improbable of creatures manages to fly?

Well, you don't seem to accept "because it's magic". "Because it's a god" also doesn't seem to fly (as it were). Wadda you want? Repulsor Rays? Radium Engines? The Seventeenth Element?

Reasons the bat can fly:

It's a god
It's chaos
It's illuminated
It's a bat

It flies because that is part of its nature. It doesn't need a "way" any more than a 500 foot giant needs a "way" that it doesn't sink into the ground at each step (let alone all the other problems, like vascular pressure, the square-cube law, etc, etc, etc.).

When *my* private cinema fires up the action scene, I choose "bat-ness" over "huge" for the visual reference. Yes, it appears to move slowly. But that doesn't mean that it's only gliding, that it's not agile, that it can't perform incredible maneuvers. it's just running the film at 12 frames a second instead of 24.

RR
- Richelieu