RE: Re: The BatBlat

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:26:00 -0800

	 Roderick:

> Does it zip around all the time? no. But it's not a
soaring/gliding animal,
> it moves by flapping it's wings, not holding them rigid. The
imagery of the
> bat flying should be of its wings going "whoomp whoomp
whoomp". Not of a
> gliding animal (might as well be the Crimson Flying Squirrel,
then).

        This is how I imagine the Bat. I love the "whoomp whoomp whoomp". I imagine the Bat as "surprisingly agile" - most of the time it moves quick slowly and ponderously (like the Red Zeppelin), but has moments of tremendous energy and movement.

> It is capabale of doing incredible acrobatics even close to
the ground. And

> the priests get to use their "Ride Bat" ability to hang on,
while the

> intruders don't. Undgnified? yep - the Lunars are hanging on
for dear life

> and hoping that the interlopers are eliminated quickly, so
they can get back

> to the job at hand.

        Here's a question - how do the Bat Guards hang on? For that matter, how do the Priests hang on?

> Depending on how big the bat is, I expect that the Priests
and Guards are

> just riding on its back. It doesn't need a slave caravan of
snacks following

> it all the time - the guards will round up appropriate snacks
if they plan

> to stay a while.

        Yep. I don't think the Bat traveled 500 miles a day to get to Whitewall. I imagined that it traveled to near Runegate on the first day (where Blackmor organized a roundup of traitors, outlaws, and slaves to feed it); down to the Dreven Vale to feed on Curtali slaves; and then up to Whitewall to feast.

        Jeff