Re: the BatBlat

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:13:35 -0800 (PST)

Oliver, responding to me:
> 1) This gives the defenders who aren't on the
> Bat something to do. . . .
> 3) I figured what with all the big juju going
> on it was a perfect opportunity for the sea
> to seek revenge. . . .

I like the idea of a Whitewall-based heroband dedicated to Helamakt that (a) can't fly, so does not go to the Bat and (b) draws on the story of Helamakt beating the Sea Tribe to fight back the encroaching waves, sea monsters, etc. Their heroband guardian might be Helamakt's Shield, which is still emebedded in the Fellmoor, right next to Whitewall.

> 2) The Bat disappearing into the Ocean gives you
> the twin options of it being dead OR it can pop
> back up from Magasta's Whirlpool

Obviously, it would take the Blue Streak's path back up to the hole in the sky.

> samurai/keets/whatever

Samurai Penguin Keets. Penguin being critical.

On the Bat's size:

One issue appears to be that its wings might touch the ground under various circumstances where its body would not. What if its wings are not material?

Also, it seems appropriate to me that people viewing its movements _should_ think that what it just did is impossible. If a 2km long Bat turns 90 degrees instantly, excellent! Somehow, it pulled up its body, flapped its wings, and went sideways. Just like a bat the size of your hand (only horrible, chaotic, and deadly). An we know that it does not need to flap its wings to stay up; it does so only because of its battiness. So, I figure it can pretty much go whatever direction it wants whenever it wants.

Matthew:

> Sounds difficult, given that even the least
> physics-minded of us immediately can tell
> that something that large shouldn't be able
> to make sudden changes in any kind of movement.
> I just don't buy the whole "it's magic so it
> just does!" explanation

I do. I think its magic is that its size is irrelevant to its own behavior--its size can vary, but its flight does not. Its size is only relevant to people. Given that fact, it may be flying in the HeroPlane or something, so the physical aspects of the middle world is not always relevant.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway http://promotions.yahoo.com/design_giveaway/