Re: Howd[y]ah Bat

From: Oliver Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:43:22 -0600

Roderick said:

> Hmm, that would probably end up looking like a crown on the Bat's head (or
> neck). Certainly would need a fight to get to the "quarterdeck" (I prefer
> Nelson's Navy to the more modern one :-).), especially if it's covered
> (What? Ride in the full sun, when you can have a canopy?)
>
> But if there are chairs, they *cannot* have seatbelts - falling out of
your
> seat when the Bat takes a hit is mandatory, as is the "Shaky Camera" when
> everyone is supposed to stagger to one side of the bat, then the other.

Oh gosh, no seatbelts. That would imply that you didn't trust in the Bat. Originally it was just a large flat platform with a low wall around it. The 13th High Bat Priest Escaflus went bonkers, err went more bonkers and insisted on bringing his stallion along. Not only did he get the Bat to agree to the platform but he also managed to get the horse initiated into the cult. This all worked quite well until the Bat made a particularily sharp left and Escaflus discovered horses can't grab on. There's a tiny village just south of the Empire where they still tell the tale of the horse feast that heaven sent them.

Since then subsequent priests have added tiny bits on to the platform over the years. Now the Bat Guard can perform pike drill and at least one stateroom has been added. No roof though, that wouldn't be trusting enough.:-)

Oliver