Re: Howd[y]ah Bat

From: Oliver Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:41:19 -0600

Roderick said:

> I thought of a problem with the Howdah idea:
>
> The Bat eats. And grows in size. By a Lot. The poor howdah riggers will
have
> to be called in after every feeding (Twice a week, according to WBRM) to
> re-adjust the restraining straps on the howdah. Maybe that's what that
> Caravan mentioned in Cults of Terror really is - not the food & slaves to
> feed the bat, but the poor riggers with extra straps, tiedowns, etc. for
the
> Howdah.

I'm guessing the howdah is fastened on with magical silver chains (or the hitherto unheard of Moon metal?) Can you imagine the mechanics of creating leather straps big enough to go around a 50 story building? There must be skilled silver smiths in the Caravan and lots of extra supplies. Or can anyone think of another way to attach the bloody thing?

> Which brought up another thought - we know that the bat grows with each
> feeding, but does it shrink between meals? Or does it continue to grow as
> long as it is fed? If you've got the MegaTremendouslyHuge bat, and only
want
> the Huge bat, can you starve it for a few weeks, or do you have to "kill"
it
> and re-summon it (three to seven years later)?

I think the Bat has to eat to maintain its size. It's always shrinking unless kept fed. The priests just have to keep it hungry for a while to get it back down to a manageable size. I imagine there's a point though when the Bat is so sick of dieting that they have to let it feed or risk it going berserk.

Oliver