Re: More Bat uh Stuff

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:05:53 -0400

Jane Williams wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what point you were tryng to make
> with the quotes, but one thing hit me:

No real point, except to mention the descriptive terms you already noticed.

> Heavily. Clumsily. Slowly. Oh dear :(

... and "town-sized."

> The speed of sound is 340m/sec. At this scaled down
> and slowed down size, you're getting sonic booms off
> the wingtips with every flap. Yes, I know, physics and
> Glorantha do not mix, but does this give some idea of
> what we mean by "slow"?

I think it can if we want it to. My take, though, would be that the chronicler of the CHDP would be citing a common usage from oral accounts of the battle rather than a relative usage based on bat biology. Of course, we could also just chalk these terms up to the chronicler using poetic license to desribe what he or she imagined the bat would have looked like, since our author wouldn't have been at Runegate and may never have seen the Bat.

I don't think my years on the Digest show at all in the above post... ;)

Gerald