Re: More Bat uh Stuff

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:33:03 GMT

In message <20040405065328.46358.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Jane=20Williams?= writes:
> --- donald_at_... wrote:
>
>> you are also shifting an enormous amount of air, quite enough to blow
>> trees and buildings over. If its wings are beating anything like
>> that fast its progress is going to be marked by a swathe of devastation
>>at least a km. wide
>
>I believe this is correct and already docuemnted, isn't it?

Possibly, I haven't got all the sources that have been mentioned.

>> and the caravan of bat support staff is going to be
>> some distance behind to avoid being blown away.
>
>Yes.
>
>> I'd go for a flap taking several minutes in normal flight
>
>To avoid the damage, yes, but do we want this?
>
>> It would seem incredibly slow to an observer
>> at a reasonable distance
>
>It'll seem so slow that it would give rise to these
>ideas that the Bat glides. Not that that invalidates
>the idea.
>
>Try visualising my four second flap. Now compare it
>with even very large birds. That's slow!

The problem is that all the large birds are gliders - they flap their wings once and then glide for several minutes. In the RW it isn't possible for a large bird to flap their wings continually, it would require far too much energy.

Now we know that Glorantha doesn't follow RW physics but can we afford to have even a chaotic creature creating energy on the scale required to move that much air. Or if it's not creating it, drawing it in from outside Glorantha - it's certainly not generating that much from the few thousand creatures a week that it eats.

There's also the matter of the Bat acting like a wind god, purely as a byproduct of its appearance in the material world. If nothing else that breaks the Compromise.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/