Re: More Bat uh Stuff

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:21:21 -0000

Donald said:

> Now we know that Glorantha doesn't follow RW physics but can we
afford
> to have even a chaotic creature creating energy on the scale
required
> to move that much air. Or if it's not creating it, drawing it in
from
> outside Glorantha - it's certainly not generating that much from
the
> few thousand creatures a week that it eats.
>
> There's also the matter of the Bat acting like a wind god, purely as
> a byproduct of its appearance in the material world. If nothing else
> that breaks the Compromise.

Both good points. I think as far as the story goes we should ignore physics since like Simon (and others have said) the thing is bloody impossible.

Like a comic book, fantasy novel or some sci fi we can't afford to pay too much attention to physics. (Ever read Larry Niven's Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex?
http://www.larryniven.org/stories/Man_of_Steel_Woman_of_Kleenex.htm, gross but sort of funny).

Anyway my preference is for the Bat not to affect the world indirectly. I mean sure it's cool how powerful its wing blasts would be but I prefer its impact to be mostly direct. When it attacks it does damage but otherwise damage is limited. Now we can always present the alternative as an option for those so inclined but I don't think that should be the main focus of the Bat.

The fact that it's huge and devours souls forever should be the main focus. That's why the Bat is scary, not because it knocks trees down as it goes by. Maybe a trail of oozing chaos though...

Oliver