Re: Re: More Bat uh Stuff

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:55:26 GMT

In message <c4usf1+522e_at_...> "Oliver D. Bernuetz" writes:

>Both good points. I think as far as the story goes we should ignore
>physics since like Simon (and others have said) the thing is bloody
>impossible.

Yes, and I don't think we should try and write a pseudo-science for Glorantha which makes it possible. If only because it'll break as soon as Greg gets an idea that doesn't fit it.

>Like a comic book, fantasy novel or some sci fi we can't afford to
>pay too much attention to physics. (Ever read Larry Niven's Man of
>Steel, Woman of Kleenex?
>http://www.larryniven.org/stories/Man_of_Steel_Woman_of_Kleenex.htm,
>gross but sort of funny).

I'll have a look, although I'm far behind on reading SF.

>Anyway my preference is for the Bat not to affect the world
>indirectly. I mean sure it's cool how powerful its wing blasts would
>be but I prefer its impact to be mostly direct. When it attacks it
>does damage but otherwise damage is limited. Now we can always
>present the alternative as an option for those so inclined but I
>don't think that should be the main focus of the Bat.

I agree, even an extremely slowly flapping bat is going to make a fair bit of air disturbance but not on the scale of a wind god.

>The fact that it's huge and devours souls forever should be the main
>focus. That's why the Bat is scary, not because it knocks trees down
>as it goes by. Maybe a trail of oozing chaos though...

What do you think Bat shit is?
Of course the Lunars probably collect and use it for something monstrous.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/