RE: Re: Kallyr arrives, departs, etc.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:35:31 +0100

> Is the Orlanth is outlawed myth really appropriate at WW? We
> know Orlanth manifests there - I doubt getting rid of Kallyr
> would be sufficient to get rid of WW's association wth Orlanth.

Huh? Jeff, I suggest you go back and re-read the HUGE number of messages about this in the past. That wasn't the idea at all.

I think I did a summary at some point, let's see if I can find it.... Yes, trying to explain it to Steve Martin. I sent him summaries of the discussion on a few mythic points for comment: still finding out how much/little of the answers I can reveal :( Hope it helps a bit, but reading the previous discussion would help even more. Sorry, I just assumed we all still had it in memory.

Broyan = Vingkot

This links Broyan's mythic identification with Vingkot to a major Kallyr sub-plot that keeps her occupied and away from Whitewall for most of 1620-1621. And it then links in very firmly to her LBQ during Whitewall.

Chris:
Also, I found a couple of myths that might apply to what Broyan was planning when he emptied out Whitewall. All of this is speculative.

The first is obviously the LBQ. (snip)

The second is in TR 146. In this myth, Orlanth gets tricked into leaving by a conspiracy of his brothers, and Vingkot eventually calls him back with a sacrifice. Again, the Vingkot bit seems to work, though having Orlanth tricked by his brothers seems a bit odd. Perhaps Broyan identifies Kallyr as Orlanth and tricks her into leaving? That might be why KoS 235 identifies her as the leader (of the Camp).

Me:
Yes! Also sets things up for Iceland: Broyan organises the fighting, Kallyr's off retrieving Voria.

"all of his brothers conspired, and helped by a thief and trickster they caused Orlanth to be outlawed".
Kallyr has a Trickster. We're already building up a list of political tensions and people who dislike her.

I think this could work very well. A plot Broyan and Kallyr would come up with, kept very secret indeed. Those two would know what was really going on. Minaryth might. But to everyone else, the tricking and outlawry would be real. Ow. Ow. OW. For someone who depends that much on loyalty to and from followers, that is going to hurt.

And thinking further about that, this gives me the reasoning for the change in personality between the Kallyr I documented based on KoS, WF, and so on, (the open and friendly one) and the one in OiD: stern, unapproachable. After a year or so of being betrayed
by everybody in sight and having to put up with it to make the ritual work, she would have changed.

I'm starting to feel quite guilty about this. Every time I start writing seriously about Kallyr I end up doing something horrible to her.

Looking at the myth again (TR 146), let me try to summarise.

Storm Tribe do kin-strife, Vadrus causes trouble. Orlanth outlawed by all his brothers, a thief and trickster. While he's gone, more kinstrife, eventually Vadrus kills Barntar. (Famine?) Kolat gets kicked out.
After Orlanth's time of exile was over (no cause, just a time-limit?) Vingkot sacrifices and calls him back.
Orlanth returns with his four Storms.
He returns Urox to the tribe by wrestling him. Persuades Kolat back in. Makes amends to Humakt (why? what had he done this time? not nicked his sword again??) And Yinkin had helped Orlanth during his exile. Orlanth then deposes Vadrus and replaces him with Valind. Lots of fighting, glacier arrives.
Various earth goddesses die.
Orlanth heads off on LBQ.

We seem to have a fairly long gap there between Orlanth returning and the start of Winter. In fact, his return caused it!

If we're doing this thing of identifying Kallyr with Orlanth, she needs to be brought back to Whitewall at least briefly before it falls. And it looks as if she brings some new allies with her: some Uroxi, Humakti (having made up a previous quarrel), Kolatings and a returning Yinkini (Dernu?) Notice that the Orlanth in this story doesn't die. The identification is only there to

a) let Broyan identify himself as Vingkot
b) possibly set the scene for an LBQ during Iceland
c) give us an alternative excuse for Kallyr leaving Whitewall (we'd been
trying to figure out earlier why she left long before the end, and had rather half-heartedly given her a Vingan job of organising the evacuation of all the no-combatants).