Re: Ramps and getting over walls

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:40:44 -0700

> How are these pesky Lunars getting over the walls?
> Can't fly 'cos they will lose.
> Tunnels built by gnomes could easily be collapsed by Orlanthi gnomes (am I
> being too RQ3?)
> The Romans built ramps at Masada which took about 6 months (I might be
very
> wrong) but the walls were only 90 feet high (only!). Looking at the maps
it
> seems that the city takes up most of the top of the Tor which means the
ramp must
> go up 3/4 contor lines but I can't remember seeing total height for Tor
and
> walls but I have only just started ferreting about with this. If someone
does
> know the total height then we can work out how LONG the ramp needs to be
and
> how many man hours to construct.
> As an historical note I am seeing Whitewall as the Gloranthan equivalent
of
> Krak des Chevaliers built by the Crusaders on a spur in the Syrian Desert
> guarding the road between the Muslim city of Homs and Tripoli. That only
fell
> because the Sultan Baybars, who had it undersiege sent a message,
purported from
> the Grand Masters of the Hopitallers in Tripoli, ordering the garrison to
> surrender since no help could be sent to them by carrier pigeon (how they
got the
> pigeon I have no idea!). I have a nice pic which I could scan in if
usefull

Well, with walls you can go Over them (flying, ramps, ladders, siege towers), Under them (tunnelling by any manner of means in glorantha), Over their rubble (earthquakes, siege engines, great huge masses of rock that fall from the sky, Infernal engines of Dr. Sinestro), or suborn someone on the inside to open the gates and let you in. (plus starve the defenders out, buying off commander of the garrison and his cronies, sending plague into the town, or being So Darned Evil that people just give up - look to the Mongols for a lot of these..). Oh, and giant wooden animals. Those are good, too, but Orlanthi aren't dumb enough to fall for those. They might workl on Dara Happans, but Stormies got too much edumication for that.

RR
- Richelieu