RE: Re: siege engines

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:11:03 -0700

> > I already mentioned a zone of Kadone's "heavy", and the influence
of
> > Thunderbolts on siege engines.
> Sorry, missed those. Also, any engine using ropes would probably be
the
> worse for wear after a heavy rain. And an awful lot of Real World
engines
> were torsion-based.
>I notice that there's no use of Solar
> Magic at the siege (at least in KoS - sorry if it's been discussed in
the
> early days, I had to delete ~700 messages unread when I got back from
a week
> away from home...). No bolts fo Sunfire burning the place to a crisp.

I'm trying to avoid dragging myself into this interesting (but time consuming) discussion of siege tactics, but it is worth remembering that from the BatBlat in Storm Season 1619 and on through the fall of Whitewall, there is a partial manifestation of Orlanth at Whitewall - a 2 year storm effect far beyond the abilities of the assembled Dara Happans and Lunars to dispel (except maybe for short periods in Fire Season - maybe). This will have a big impact on the ability of Lunar sub-commanders to use siege equipment or missile fire until the grand finale.

Worse yet, from the position of the various sub-commanders is that Tatius the Bright appears perfectly pleased whenever the storm repulses a Lunar assault (which the Yanafali constantly complain are undermanned). In fact, I suspect that there are many Yanafali, Carmanians and Tarshites who increasingly think in 1620 and 1621 (until the very end) that Tatius should be removed for incompetence. The odd thing is that the Emperor himself keeps increasing the honors and authority of Tatius.

Jeff