Re: Wooden Animals

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:31:19 -0000

Jane:
> Any battering Rams?

There is a Peter Connolly picture of a nice covered battering ram with a true ram's head, and I was wondering how you can tie this in with Yanafal Tarnils. That all seemed a bit more sedate, however, and Gerendetho popped into mind as a characterful alternative.

Your various mountain goats like a bit of senseless ramming and butting as much as rams, and Gerendethi would make great (and fun) siege and assault troops in these parts (I know this has been touched on before). Doesn't necessarily matter that in many parts of the siege battering rams won't be that useful... they can always scrabble about and holler in the trying.

We've already got some great Gerendethi on the Wiki in Oliver's Goat Boys (and Girls), so I don't want to flood the place with goatworshippers  (but hey, that's not necessarily a bad thing... ah, heck... Dragnet [1987] as just popped into mind) but I do like Gerendetho. Perhaps the Goat Boys (and Girls) have brought a 'ram' (shall we say 'ibex'?), and try to 'help out' in the siege?

Perhaps somewhere in the encampment or siege-train there is the [XXXX] the Indefatigable Ibex, a raucous old 'butting-ibex' of Gerendethi yore: a minor daimon famous for its shambolic appearance, truculent manner and... pungence. Gerendethi love wielding it, steaming at the nostils, making that curious rumbling noise in their throat, etc.

Not *quite* a Grond in effect, but not diminished for it...

Stu.