Re: Caves and Tunnels

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:02:10 -0000

I think on the Orlanthi side 'Kallyr' should be Barbara Windsor, 'Scathach' Hatti Jacques or Joan Sims*, and 'Broyan' Sid James. Bernard Cribbins can play some luckless lieutenant, and Jim Dale some poor hero.

*Hattie may be better than Joan in some respects, but then you don't get the whole Joan-Sid-Barbara thing going on.

For the Lunars, Roy Castle should play any young officer, and Terry Scott a rather more incompetent one. 'Tatius' is naturally played by Kenneth Williams, 'Jorkandros' by either Kenneth Connor or Leslie Phillips...

... and for the 'Chief Bat Priest' I'm torn between Frankie Howerd and Charles Hawtrey. Both very different, but I'm not sure which'd be best. Though Frankie would make a good pained celestiologist, and Bernard Bresslaw can play a Lunar troll.

Of course you can change it and have Sid as a Lunar, and one of the lesser lights as Broyan, in which case you could play about with the Lunar high command a bit... and try to get Hattie and Kenneth Williams on the same side.

If we go further back in time and a bit Ealing and 'Boulting Brothers', we can naturally have Terry "Broyan, you absolute rotter!" Thomas as Tatius, which is by far the best casting choice of them all... Throw in Ian Carmichael, John Le Mesurier, Dickie Attenborough, Herbert Lom and the brilliant Alastair Sim and Katie Johnson, and there's a damn fine film.

Cheerio,

Stu.