Re: Broyan's Three Cults

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:26:56 +0100

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 02:59:32PM +1000, John Hughes wrote:
> This would indicate to me that Broyan is a (heroically-tempered) straight
> Heortling polytheist, and not of the western persuasion.

Yes but... Just to be 100% clear, why do you particularly say 'polytheist'? Just as 'short' for theist, in rules terms? (Don't get me wrong, polytheist is probably the better and more conventional term -- but let us not dwell on Greg and terminology, lest someone (else) mention the M-word.) Or this with specific reference to his "multiple" initiation?

I'd think him not being at all Westernised would be a given -- so traditionalist they're almost throwbacks, if I might rep-- eh, quote myself, that's how I see the Volsaxi (and to a perhaps lesser extent, -ar).

> The entire Vingkot kingship thingee suggests that the Volsaxi have pretty
> powerful kings by Heortling standards - real clout, real power, almost
> certainly king for life barring big boo-boos, and even hereditary or
> restricted bloodline election - all in contrast to the seven years,
> challenged at any time, ability-alone election, limited-power Heorling norm.

Which kingship, exactly? I suppose I was picturing the 'federal' kingship as being for life (at least as practiced by Broyan), but would the Volsaxi tribal kingship be for life also? (Formally so, or de facto?) The others point I certainly agree on for both.

Cheers,
Alex.