Re: Broyan's Three Cults

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:47:34 +0100

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:18:39AM -0700, Jeff Richard wrote:
> Howdy -
>
> > I'd think him not being at all Westernised would be a given -- so
> > traditionalist they're almost throwbacks, if I might rep-- eh, quote
> > myself, that's how I see the Volsaxi (and to a perhaps lesser extent,
> > -ar).
>
> Rather than use terms like "throwbacks" (which I don't think really make
> sense when talking about the Heortlings - throwbacks to when?), I prefer

Well, in this case to about the Storm Age...

> to think that the Volsaxi are a Hendreiki tribe that have "consciously"
> rejected sorcery, the Pharaoh and the Andrinic reforms. This can be
> described as "traditionalist" - but I'm sure if we compared 12th century
> post-Dragonkill Volsaxi to our early 17th century Volsaxi, we'd find
> plenty of changes.

... or more narrowly one might say to that sort of period. But yes, I'm sure you're right, and in that sense 'traditionalist' is more appropriate. Esp. in the Rolf Harris sense (with no apologies whatsoever to John H. <eg>): "Here's an old english folk song I've just written".