Re: Broyan's Three Cults

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:54:00 -0000

Jeff said:

> Fair point. Here's my current thought: Volsaxi tribal kingship is
> limited only to members of the royal clan. We still don't have a
name
> for them - it kind of depends on how old this system is:
> If we trace it back to the Dawn, then the royal clan should probably
> also be called the Volsaxi (or the Darvolsaxi) - how ever, I don't
think
> that the Volsaxi tribal kingship is the same as it was at the Dawn;
> If we trace it back to the establishment of the Hendreiki, then the
> royal clan can be named something like the Drini or Dovari;
> If we trace it back the post-Dragonkill, the royal clan should
probably
> be the Royal Volsaxi (or Darvolsaxi);
> And if we trace it back to Hardrard the Green, then the royal clan
> should probably be the Hardrardi.

Would this be just one of the proposed four clans at WW or all of them? It could be that any of the four clans could provide the Volsaxi king but for whatever reason Broyan's clan has been doing it for years.

You could make the clans as follows:

  1. Darvolsaxi - the oldest clan. They've been making kings since the Dawn.
  2. Drin or Dovari - the second oldest clan. When there were absolutely no worthy candidates among the Darvolsaxi a long drawn out search resulted in a member of the Drin clan being identified as a worthy king. Since then their clan members have been eligible for kingship too.
  3. Hardradi - the youngest eligble clan. Once again no one was worthy from either of the two established clans so a search occured which resulted in Hardrad the Green being named King. His clan renamed themselves in his honour and have been eligible for kingship ever since.

This way the kingship has evolved over time but still has very old roots to claim.

What about John's proposed fourth clan? A suggestion could be a small Helering clan who act as the caretakers of WW sticking it out there no matter what even if everyone else buggers off. They would live in the traditional Helering style which could add another source of friction.

Just a thought.

Oliver