RE: Re: Broyan's Three Cults

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:19:41 -0700

Oliver:

> It could be that any of the four clans could provide the
> Volsaxi king but for whatever reason Broyan's clan has been
doing it

> for years.

        I'd prefer it if only one clan can provide the Volsaxi king - that's the Vingkotling way. Moreover, that clan should be small - maybe 400 or 500 members tops. Probably many less. When the royal clan is gone (which it should be close to being after WW), that's the end of them - just like when the Kodigvari died out at Sword and Helm, that was it for the Vingkotling kingdom.

        After thinking about this, I think that the royal clan should be called the Darvolsaxi or the Dovari (the Faithful). They've been making kings since the Dawn and their survivors reestablished the clan after the Gbaji Wars. The Darvolsaxi have been associated with the Larnsti since Hendreik, and many clan members join the Larnsti brotherhood (it is almost a rite of passage for Darvolsaxi men). During the Second Age, the population center of the Hendreiki continually moved south (as folk chopped down the Hendreiki Wilderness and settled the plateau), and the Darvolsaxi slowly declined in influence amongst the Hendreiki as a whole (although they remained a very important clan). However, following the Dragonkill, the Volsaxi tribe was reestablished to deal with the horde of refugees from Dragon Pass. As a result, the Darvolsaxi became regionally dominant, but less important in all of Heortland.

        The Volsaxi rejected the Andrinic reforms (because they didn't need them - the Darvolsaxi system worked just fine) and ultimately rebelled against the Andrini kings and the Pharaoh. Hardrard the Green returned the Darvolsaxi to Whitewall and restored the association between the clan and the Larnsti brotherhood. The Volsaxi suffered under the period of Kitori dominance, but with Tarkalor's aid, they asserted their leadership throughout the Marzeel valley and beyond.

> What about John's proposed fourth clan? A suggestion could
be a

> small Helering clan who act as the caretakers of WW sticking
it out

> there no matter what even if everyone else buggers off. They
would

> live in the traditional Helering style which could add
another source

> of friction.

        There are plenty of Volsaxi clans other than the Darvolsaxi (who, I think are pretty numerically small). Remember, there are some 50,000 Volsaxi.

         Jeff