RE: Re: Broyan's Three Cults

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:55:40 -0700

> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:14:53PM -0700, Jeff Richard wrote:
> > Fine with me.  I figure there are somewhere around 40+ clans in the
> > Volsaxi, so there is plenty of room for about a half-dozen odd clans
> > (the Darvolsaxi, the Helerings, the Night Jumpers, etc.).

> This confuses the heck out of me. This seems about an order of
> magnitude too high, unless a) the Volsaxi population is much higher
than
> neighbouring tribes (like the Sylangi, said to be about 6000 _after_
> absorbing some of the Kultain), b) we're speaking of the whole of
> Volsaxar (which is definite topic drift if so, since my question was
> about the _tribal_ kingship), c) the clans are as small as Sartarite
> ones, or smaller (I thought every implication was the reverse), or d)
> some combination of the above.

Quick terminology check - I'm using "Volsaxar" to describe the Volsaxi led tribal confederation (the Volsaxi plus the "tiny" Bacofi, Curtali, and Sylangi tribes), "Volsaxi" to describe the Hendreiki tribe called the Volsaxi, and "Darvolsaxi" to describe the ruling clan of the "Volsaxi".

With that in mind, here's my suggested population figures for the Volsaxar:
Volsaxi 50,000

Bacofi       5,000
Curtali       2,500
Sylangi     6,000

As you can see, the Bacofi, Curtali and Sylangi are smallish Heortling tribes like those in Sartar. The Volsaxi are a tribe of the Hendreiki and are much bigger than any Sartarite tribe. However, they are much smaller than the Earldoms of Gardufar (formerly the Hurlanti) or Karhend (formerly the Jondalari) at about 100-150k each.

I think that the Volsaxi clans are about the same size as Sartarite ones.

Jeff