Re: Re: Broyan's Three Cults

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:58:02 +0100

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 02:55:40PM -0700, Jeff Richard wrote:
> Quick terminology check - I'm using "Volsaxar" to describe the Volsaxi
> led tribal confederation (the Volsaxi plus the "tiny" Bacofi, Curtali,
> and Sylangi tribes), "Volsaxi" to describe the Hendreiki tribe called
> the Volsaxi, and "Darvolsaxi" to describe the ruling clan of the
> "Volsaxi".

OK, that's what I thought, just was beginning to doubt...

> With that in mind, here's my suggested population figures for the
> Volsaxar:
> Volsaxi 50,000
> Bacofi 5,000
> Curtali 2,500
> Sylangi 6,000

That seems pretty rather lop-sided, esp. in relation to their relative territories on any (admittedly non-canon if not quite speculative) map I've seen. Unless the Volsaxi are _way_ more urbanised, or their land is vastly more fertile. or they're extremely tribute-oriented) than the other Volsaxar constituents. Or I'm mis-estimating said territories, since they do go some way off (for example) Joerg's Aurochs hills map. Can we check these really do reality-check against each other, and fiddle one or the other as required if not?

> I think that the Volsaxi clans are about the same size as Sartarite
> ones.

This would seem to imply some moderately unusual tribal organisation in itself, then. (Or maybe it's usual -- but certainly very different from what seems familiar from Sartar.) A rather "wide, flat" one, and where the majority of the clans would necessarily not be represented on the ring, etc. Must operate in a very different way in any number of respects.

Cheers,
Alex.