Tribal size

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:26:21 -0000

Jeff Richard:
>>> Fine with me.  I figure there are somewhere around 40+ clans in
>>> the Volsaxi, so there is plenty of room for about a half-dozen
>>> odd clans (the Darvolsaxi, the Helerings, the Night Jumpers, etc.).

Alex:

>> This confuses the heck out of me.  This seems about an order of
>> magnitude too high, unless a) the Volsaxi population is much higher
>> than neighbouring tribes (like the Sylangi, said to be about 6000
>> _after_ absorbing some of the Kultain), b) we're speaking of the
>> whole of Volsaxar (which is definite topic drift if so, since my
>> question was about the _tribal_ kingship), c) the clans are as
>> small as Sartarite ones, or smaller (I thought every implication
>> was the reverse), or d) some combination of the above.

Jeff Richard:

> Quick terminology check - I'm using "Volsaxar" to describe the
> Volsaxi led tribal confederation (the Volsaxi plus the "tiny"
> Bacofi, Curtali, and Sylangi tribes), "Volsaxi" to describe the
> Hendreiki tribe called the Volsaxi, and "Darvolsaxi" to describe
> the ruling clan of the "Volsaxi".

> With that in mind, here's my suggested population figures for the
> Volsaxar:
> Volsaxi 50,000
> Bacofi 5,000
> Curtali 2,500
> Sylangi 6,000

I disagree about the Curtali if they have received Stagwood and Vorda Hill as holdings. Closer to 5,000, I'd expect. A few rather fat clans.

> As you can see, the Bacofi, Curtali and Sylangi are smallish
> Heortling tribes like those in Sartar. The Volsaxi are a tribe
> of the Hendreiki and are much bigger than any Sartarite tribe.
> However, they are much smaller than the Earldoms of Gardufar
> (formerly the Hurlanti) or Karhend
> (formerly the Jondalari) at about 100-150k each.

The Volsaxi tribe probably has regional sub-tribes or oddities like triaties etc, too.

> I think that the Volsaxi clans are about the same size as Sartarite
> ones.

At least around Whitewall. In the Smithstone region things might be different, given the lay of the land. Some clans there might even be somewhat Andrinic... after all, Hardrard's split occurred some 50-80 years after the establishment of the Andrinic ways.