Re: Mail-order Char-Un brides

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:15:53 -0000

Ooops! Replied a bit too early.

Donald (& Jeff):
> Love the character, but I'm not sure how he fits into Orlanthi
society.

Thanks, Donald & Jeff, I really appreciate the comments. I had half an eye on problems when I wrote him. Firstly, he errs on the slightly silly-eccentric side of what might be considered acceptable for some people's Glorantha. Now this isn't a problem IMG (though my games actually *are* a lot more serious than they seem! Occasionally...), but I was wary of it.

Secondly, I was largely working against all the notions of Orlanthi society that have built up (as you both rightly highlight) and going for something that was more an affectation to earlier daftness.

Now, me arguing from an old RuneQuest perspective is downright daft, seeing as I've only been into Glorantha a while and was two when RQ came out, but it was in the style of that whimsy and weird Gloranthan takes on genericisms!

One of the reasons I kind of did this was that I thought I had noted elements of these creeping back in (which I actually quite like!). I'm not going to say where, as it might be misconstrued or cause offence when none is meant (rather the opposite). Please feel free to take him away from Whitewall!

The Lunar camp could be cool, certainly. I also wonder if I could foist him on Pavis (you wouldn't believe how little I know about Pavis... it was one of the casualties of efficacy when I was first trying to get my head around Glorantha! Keith has kindly helped a lot, well... on certain parts :o)).

Cheerio,

Stu.