RE: Re: Mail-order Char-Un brides

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:16:54 -0700

> > I think there is a understandable misunderstanding regarding how
> > Heortling fort-settlements like Whitewall function. They aren't
> > impersonal cities - they are basically overgrown villages
> That's what I was wondering when I posted Steve's city discussion.
> (Which I did and do still like).

I like Steve's stuff quite a lot. I think it needs a little "tweaking" (or Orlanthification) but I like it lot.

> Is Whitewall your more or less
> standard Heortling style "city" or a modified version of one. Should

> it be nothing but communal longhouses or is it a bunch of smaller
> buildings more akin to what we 21st century types would imagine when
> we think city.

Whitewall is definitely *not* something akin to what we 21st century types would imagine when we think city. It is not a trade center - it is the High King's citadel-palace. The only reason it has any reasonable population at all is because the High King, his thanes, his retainers, his priests, and kinfolk all live there and are supported by the tribute given to them by the Volsaxi and Volsaxar. Think Mycenae, not Athens.

> It doesn't have to be a standard Heortling/Volsaxi city fort because
> it wasn't built by a Heortling. It could be structurally different
> even though it's being used as such.

Just because Sesarto the Artist (a First Age Heortling) built Whitewall some 1500+ years ago does not mean that it is functionally different from other Heortling fort-settlements. When the Volsaxi reclaimed Whitewall some 150+ years ago, they established it as a sacred center and residence of kings. Not a "city" like Sartar built. Regardless of whether the actual buildings are wooden longhouses or stonewalled longhouses.

> What do people think? Is WW a dark ages style settlement OR a Pavis
> style fort?

I feel quite strongly that it is not a Pavis-style fort. Pavis is unique in what it is (a multicultural frontier city). Whitewall should be a place of kings and their retainers - a religious center for the Volsaxi tribe (as Volsaxi).

Jeff