RE: Re: Mail-order Char-Un brides

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:41:13 -0700

Oliver:

> Fairly alien by our standards. Sort of like Brasilia or Canberra:-)

Or Washington DC. But of course, wasn't that Mumford's complaint - that such "cities" weren't *really* cities.

> So the buildings should be mostly longhouses then. Marble ones for
> the most part but longhouses. Maybe the interiors have been set up
> in some of them so the front parts can be used as stores like the
> Roman townhouses so we still have a bit of retail commerce.

Doesn't have to be "longhouses" - but it will have that sort of kin-based organization that longhouses suggest. Could also look like buildings at Mycanae or elsewhere.

> The inns could be guesthouses that have been more formalized as inns
> through foreign influence. Their importance of course rises during
> the seige since Broyan will want the defenders to mix a bit to
> improve their comaradery (obviously a tactic fraught with peril among

> the fractious Orlanthi).

Yep.

> I think the Shambleshur should still be individual buildings though
> to accentuate its oddness.

Sure. Especially if a lot of kinless folk live there.

> I like the thought of a hill fort done in marble right down to the
> faux marble thatching on the longhouses. That's what an Artist would

> have done:-)

Great idea! Faux marble thatching is a hoot!

Jeff