Re: Re: Mail-order Char-Un brides

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:52:05 GMT

In message <c66kpp+518v_at_...> "Stewart Stansfield" writes:
>Ooops! Replied a bit too early.
>
>Donald (& Jeff):
>> Love the character, but I'm not sure how he fits into Orlanthi
>society.
>
>Thanks, Donald & Jeff, I really appreciate the comments. I had half
>an eye on problems when I wrote him. Firstly, he errs on the slightly
>silly-eccentric side of what might be considered acceptable for some
>people's Glorantha. Now this isn't a problem IMG (though my games
>actually *are* a lot more serious than they seem! Occasionally...),
>but I was wary of it.

The whole concept of ducks is on the silly side of Glorantha so that isn't a problem - the narrator can play that up or down as they choose.

>Secondly, I was largely working against all the notions of Orlanthi
>society that have built up (as you both rightly highlight) and going
>for something that was more an affectation to earlier daftness.

The problem with a lot of the old stuff is that the cultures were much less developed. Apple Lane is the classic example - a supposedly Sartarite village with a sheriff, inn, Ulerian temple and a pawnbrokers. Keep the silly characters by all means but I don't want all Glorantha to have a single social structure where a character idea borrowed from anywhere can be dropped in. There's loads of poor fantasy fiction like that and it bores me silly.

>The Lunar camp could be cool, certainly. I also wonder if I could
>foist him on Pavis (you wouldn't believe how little I know about
>Pavis... it was one of the casualties of efficacy when I was first
>trying to get my head around Glorantha! Keith has kindly helped a
>lot, well... on certain parts :o)).

There's certainly room for him in Pavis although he might have a job getting to the top of the heap given all the other rogues there.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/