Re: Clan Ring

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:51:13 GMT

In message <7434365B6A44284B854296835B89C6E710FE09_at_...> "Jeff Richard" writes:

>From: drfegg_at_...
>
>>So what you are saying is that the citizens of WW have no say in how they are
>>governed? I know I'm putting my own C21st thoughts on this but I would not
>>take it. The Lunar Army on my door and I have no say in what goes on? All these
>>Warriors not from my Clan taking food from my children's mouths acting like
>>they own the place! Violence is always an answer...
>>However if the citizens have some imput then that would give PC's more
>>incentive to interact with the various Clans other than to buy/trade things. I don't
>>want realism to take too much away from MGF!
>
>I don't think there are "citizens of Whitewall". There are members of
>clans who are part of the Volsaxi tribe. And there are guests of these
>clans or of the tribe. I don't think Whitewall is its own corporate entity.
>
>Moreover, they by and large aren't governed. If they have a dispute within
>their clan, that dispute is resolved by the clan. If they have a dispute
>with someone outside of the clan, then ultimately it is up to the king (or
>other acceptable Third Party like the Larnsti) to resolve it.
>
>If the King decides to increase the tribute from the various clans so as
>to feed his hosts, the other clans can always refuse to pay. And Broyan
>is always free then to take t by force - both actions are lawful. A wise
>king tries to get good advice as to what the clans are willing to tolerate
>- that is part of the role of the Tribal Ring.

I would just add that I think there are significant strains to the relationship between the clans in WW and King Broyan because of the large numbers of tribal guests. Those guests had better not act as if they own the place, while they are under the King's protection they are also accountable to him for their behaviour and the last thing he'll want to be dealing with is squabbles between guests and the clans. Remember the PCs are also going to be members of some group or other whether it's a clan, heroband or whatever and their behaviour will reflect on the other members who probably will have something to say about it.

All in all plenty of call for a good knowledge of heortling customs and strong relationships before the PCs get anywhere near the Lunars. In fact is it worth emphasising this to narrators but having an opening encounter when the PCs arrive. Where they're asked who they are and who they're related to and the answer decides how they are treated. Example clan warbands and other groups already there should give the narrator enough ideas on how to fit the PCs in.

I've done some notes on the idea, so I'll turn them into a brief scenario tomorrow and add them to the Wiki.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/