Re: Re: inside the walls

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:16:55 GMT

In message <c6gdpa+2v3t_at_...> "Steve Honey" writes:

>> There will be few 'shops' as we understand them. Some
>> craftsmen may work here, supporting the royal
>> presence, but I doubt many are associated with
>> agricultural production. My suspicion is that
>> Whitewall imports much of its necessities, one reason
>> why it never took off as a city. So I think that
>> cheesemakers, tanners, dyers and the like would not be
>> found here, far easier for them to be located close to
>> the source of production. Think high status crafts
>> which 'add value' to raw products instead. In addition
>> think warehouses and importers who supply the
>> commodities from outside. Think a great marketplace
>> where traders come (well once came) to supply the
>> thanes and kings.
>
>Hmm...Imported goods tend to be more expensive. Surely it makes
>economic sense for Mr Peasant to either make his own boots or trade
>his excess cheese (sorry best I could think of spur of the moment)
>for a pair rather than use money to purchase a pair...in 3 weeks
>time...and over priced.

I think the point Ian's making is that there aren't any peasants. The lowest ranking people are going to be servants who get most of their needs either provided by their employers or as gifts - the "I'll never wear this tunic again so you can have it." approach. As a modern example look at all the stuff Paul Burrell was given by the Princess of Wales. There's going to be a thriving market with stalls selling basics from the surrounding area, second hand clothing and equipment. Then there will be craftspeople supplying the wealthy who may have a market stall or may need to be approached at home.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/