Stormhold Scenario: Background Ideas

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:52:35 +1000

Hi folks

I'll be running a Whitewall module at Tentacles as a tie in to the siege seminar we're giving (see the latest upload to the file section). 'Stormhold of Southland''s debt to this groups' creativity and scholarship is already considerable. I'd like to float a few background ideas and ask for comments and suggestions.

I'll probably be a little mysterious in discussing this as I want to keep the module's details a surprise. But I'd be very grateful for ideas on the setting and background. As always, I'll fully acknowledge any contributions.

The module concerns four new sentries recruited to the star watch on the walls under the command of a seasoned though exhausted and traumatised Volsaxi Rigsdali, Sasar Cold Eye (the fifth PC). The PCs are three Colymar - the Wealthy Thane, The Thane's Exiled Rival and the Thane's Youngest Brother, and a Hotshot Young Volsaxi. None of them are sure why they were called to the wall. They support different leaders and strategies. All have heard horror stories about the wall at night.

It is early Sea Season 1620. In the city, a spear moot is in progress about leadership, tensions being exacerbated by the influx of Sartari and the continuing absence of Broyan after the Bat Blat mindblast. The module centres around events on the star watch. Its a system-lite storytelling module (what we in Oz call a 'multiform'), with a focus as much on inner memories, hopes and aspirations as outer events.

  1. I'm using Donald's Gatethane, Kistrald the Steady as one of the few external characters.
  2. The spear moot will be about leadership and strategy during Broyan's continuing absence after his mindblast by the Bat. There are rumours that he is near death. The obvious 'candidates' are Kallyr and Beti. And the fact that 3 of the players are Colymar means I can tie in Leika's exile backstory and the new tribe under 'Blackmor' Kagradusson. I think I need a 3rd leadership contender, a new creation in the traditional warrior mode, and perhaps even a 4th. I'm looking for names and backgrounds

These are my initial, tentative thoughts on leadership and strategic camps in early 1620:

Cheers

John