Re: Stormhold Scenario: Background Ideas

From: Oliver Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:30:43 -0500

John asked:

> 3. The walls at night are dangerous and deadly. The Lunars continue their
> wall of attrition: every defender that dies is a victory for them. What
> sort of unusual tactics might the besiegers employ in nighttime attacks?
(I
> already have a few ideas from previous posts).

Diabolical Engines sending beams of madness. Honking big rocks being flung/long pointy things being shot at them.. Lune attacks. Wyvern's dive bombing the walls or swooping down out of the sun to snatch the unwary.

> 4. This star watch should be relatively isolated, in a section that needs
5
> warriors to keep watch, with another group on call, and a thunder gong or
> horn to sound the alarm. I'm thinking of putting them atop Tarkalor's
Gate,
> which seems to be separate from the main walls. There will already be
> considerable damage. If I use the Gate: how would defenders link to it
from
> the city? Tunnels? Rope Bridges or flying foxes? What other isolated
> sections of wall might there be?

I like the rope bridge suggestion. Makes it kind of scary to get back and forth.

> 5. Can anyone suggest happenings on the walls that might have killed four
> of star watch leaving Sasar as the sole survivor? I need a few of these
> horror stories. He's had a tough trot. The latest watch are going to have
> it just as tough. :)

On the Lunar side there's a witch of Jalakel that has been sending horrific spirits to attack the walls at night. His worst spirits are sent during the dark phase of the moon. A possibility is that one of these spirits attacked, possessing one of the watch who then killed four of the others before dying at the hands of Sasar. Most horribly it was his younger sister. He's been absolved of kinslaying due to the circumstances but it still haunts him. The defenders are still trying to round up a Kolating who can deal with these spirits.

Oliver