Re: Tribal size

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:04:08 -0000

> Iron Age Britain may have even had a higher population than mid to
> late 11th Century England.

Population levels in "medieval" (using the term very loosely) Europe fluctuated wildly due to plague. Having the population of Britain dropping to 50% or even lower oin the space of a few years, then building back up again, was *normal*. So when we look at population figures, not only do we need ot fuigure out if everyone was included (children? heads of households only?) we also need to know at what point in the cycle the measurement was taken.