Re: Re: Tribal size

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 20:06:48 GMT

In message <3227.217.226.84.3.1083850364.squirrel_at_...> "Joerg Baumgartner" writes:

>> Very true! And the same is not true of anywhere in
>> Britain, as anyone who's met a wandering sheep on a
>> lonely bit of rock can tell you.
>
>I'm reminded of Sam Philipp's old "no cows, though - they'd roll off"
>digest comment from 1994 about Scotland and its highlands. Once you get to
>bedrock right under the vegetation, any thoughts of "cultivation" mean
>something similar to pot-gardening (like on the Aran Islands).

I wonder where he thought highland longhorn cattle came from, and still live. Given that the Orlanthi breed a similar type of cattle I don't think they'd have much problem keeping them on the hilly areas of Dragon Pass.

Equally there were cereal crops grown in the highlands before the clearances. Probably on small sheltered plots where the soil is deeper and oats rather than wheat but cultivation is possible.

[snip]

>Still, we need to place some 35000 Volsaxi south and west of Whitewall.
>(Roughly 3/4 the number of the Ostrogoths who subjected Italy, or one
>third to one half of the Helvetian migration.)
>
>I'm planning to produce a vectorized map system where I can enter
>estimates on soil suitability etc as a bonus. Then we can talk crop
>efficiency etc., and calculate maximum sustainable numbers and whatever.
>
>Although I guess that these are things many people don't want to know -
>"after all, this is fantasy"...

I'm interested but it comes rather low down on my list of priorities, especially as I can't see it affecting anything official.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/