Re: Broyan's chariot and Tatius

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 01:20:44 GMT

In message <7434365B6A44284B854296835B89C6E702068B_at_...> "Jeff Richard" writes:

>I think we want Scenario One - horses ignore the gap. It is important
>that the Whitewall defenders are capable of defending the citadel
>against impossible odds as long as possible - but they must increasing
>invoke the Last Storm to do so.

I like that too, especially if the PCs have tried Oliver's idea of getting building stone from Lunar controlled territory and *failed*. There should be successes and failures on both sides throughout the siege and so far it's been a bit unbalanced.

>Tatius the Bright is playing for a much much much bigger game than
>simply capturing Whitewall. He's going to kill Rebellus Terminus - and
>the more the rebels use Orlanth's magic to hold out, the happier Tatius
>is. The final attack on Whitewall will determined by the stars and
>Buseri codes far too complex for any of us to understand - except Tatius
>the Bright. And he's got the full and personal support of Moonson on
>this one.
>
>BTW, I'm pretty sure that Tatius knows that this will cause the
>Fimbulwinter.
>
>Now from the Lunar subordinate position, Tatius must be maddening. He
>keeps ordering these limited assaults and complicated magical attacks on
>Whitewall, and then NOT following up on them. It is as though he almost
>*wants* the defenders to hold out.

I don't think that'll be the general view although some might suspect it. It'll be more "Why doesn't he get the troops he needs to take this fortress so we can all go home?" As I've said before, I don't think there are anywhere near enough troops in 1620 to take WW.

>For those of us who are trying to write things from the Lunar
>perspective, this is an important thing to keep in mind. Once Tatius
>takes over, the strategic goals of the Lunar command change radically.
>Jorkandros the Blinder wanted to reduce the fortress of Whitewall and
>kill the rebels. Tatius the Bright wants to kill Orlanth - the actual
>defenders are irrelevant except as a means to that end. There are other
>factions within the Empire with very different goals and objectives from
>Tatius - but Tatius has the resources of the Assiday family and the full
>support of Moonson behind him.

At the moment I'm just writing characters till I get enough idea of who's up to what. Certainly I think the Lunars should try something serious (or apparently so) several times during 1620 but I'm not sure what. An attack with considerable mythical significance which either fails or succeeds in an obscure way sounds a good idea for one. By success I'm thinking of some damage to the defences which isn't apparent until later.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/