Re: Transition from Phase 2 to 3

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:01:46 -0000

> Escalation seems to be a theme for this siege. So lets
> start as we mean to go on.

Oh, well in that case, any good story needs some lulls, and any game needs some downtime for narrator and player freedom, and character development. Have you bashed these sorts of things out? (I got up to about message five of the 2000-odd, so I don't know what you have or haven't discussed - apologies).

The tendency in fantasy writing seems to be for the besiegers to have an expendable horde outside the gates and for it to last but a little while. I just read Legend by David Gemmel which was very odd in that the siege was six months or so, during which time it seems the horde threw itself at the walls every day. Not very siegey if you ask me. Whitewall is plainly different.

The reason I mention this is that there must be a temptation, especially for a beast with many heads, to make it absolutely chockablock with action. For a game, it could be very useful as a narrator to be able to cut forward a season, say, dole out a wodge of hero points and get an explanation from the characters of what went on it that time, how their heroes took a slightly different direction. The obvious parallel is the blank areas on the Map, and there could equally be blank times during the siege, with suggested scenario hooks and so on. But, this would need to be built in at an early stage.

Also, the different phases I suppose each need that narrative build up to some crescendo and a clever transition (hence my header) - the different phases seem very well-summed up by "The Year of Desolation" etc - is the intention to have those as overriding moods for the two sides for the three phases? (BTW, when it is made into a major three-part epic, I suppose Orlando Bloom gets to play Broyan the Batboarder?)

The One True Sam.
p.s. Wiki Wiki - is that a Little Britain reference? Wiki-Woooo!