Re: Transition from Phase 2 to 3

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:26:00 GMT

In message <c7vgkm+3g6l_at_...> "Sam" writes:
>Hi folks. New here.
>I was just browsing, looks fascinating. From a fairly uninformed
>position, I have two pennies...
>
>Looking at the siege timeline, I saw that there is a, so far, quiet
>time between earth season 1619, the first assaults, and the arrival
>of the bat in dark season. Although one might expect reduced
>activity at this time of year, this seems to have good narrative /
>game potential.
>
>My thinking is that the initial engagements are inevitable (Fire to
>Earth 1619). The establishment of and attacks on supply routes
>represent it settling down into a cagey tactical manoeuvring for
>position where each side is reluctant to commit themselves too much.
>
>For an actual game, this is perfect for characters, who may not yet
>be too powerful, to be involved in raids, probes, supply running,
>intrigues within and without Whitewall. My two suggestions are:
>
>1. The sorts of activities outside the walls in which the heroes
>might get involved lead inevitably to an escalation, culminating in
>both sides getting dragged into those "First major night battles"
>(start of Phase 3), something neither side would choose, and with
>all sorts of mysterious goings on and bloody consequences.
>
>2. Throughout this period, those within the walls are a bit
>perplexed at the lack of activity from those without. They suspect
>the Lunars are up to something, but don't know it's the bat until
>the rumours start. Quite rich for a build-up of tension...For a
>game, the heroes could get embroiled in the panic and mass breakout,
>similar to the Cradles, where the aim is not let the gates be
>opened, and they may be forced to decide whether to conduct some of
>the slaughter on their own folk, (can't think of a bigger ingame
>dilemma than that). Again, similar to cradles, there could be
>otherworldy things going on within the walls (read below deck for
>Cradles) and the heroes could be involved in that.

Have a look at the Lunar troop numbers for 1619, there's no way they could launch serious assaults and the defenders will realise that. Indeed I think the balance will be the other way round with Orlanthi raids on Lunar supply convoys rather than Lunars cutting off supplies to WW. So the mood within WW is going to be upbeat until the rumours of the Bat's approach.

Certainly the Bat causes panic within the walls but opening the gates isn't that much of a risk. The Lunar army has no wish to be anywhere near the Bat and won't be ready to assault the gate. Of course anyone who does flee will have to get past the Lunar army to escape.

>Just some vague thoughts, in case they are good ones...

And welcome even if we have discussed much of it before. Someone's going to have to write up some scenarios for all the raiding and supply running that goes on thoughout 1619 and 1620. So far no one's taken the task on because there are other bits we want to do.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/