RE: Trickster magic

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:48:33 GMT

In message <000001c46321$6232bf20$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> A Trickster inside a besieged fortress full of people who are
>> straining to get along and forget century old feuds? Doesn't
>> sound like a very good idea.
>
>For plot-generation, it's a wonderful idea! Those on the receiving end may
>disagree. (Ask Insterid for her opinion, and stand well back). Though
>remember that the Trickster is essential to any fundamental change, so he
>may well have a use, long term and accidentally. Maybe they forget their
>differences to gang up on him?

That sounds a very good plot line, having to gang up on Kallyr's trickster to save WW. All those people who automatically think of being on the same side as Kallyr while she's obliged to protect her trickster. If this happens when Broyan is incapacitated after the BatBlat there'll be no one to just tell Kallyr to take him away.

The question is what he does? My thoughts stray to the idea of him opening a gate to allow the Lunars to sneak some troops in. After all he's heard all the warriors boasting of their ability and decides to give them the opportunity to prove it.

Thinking further, if we time this to just after Tatius arrives it could give him the victory his troops need to restore their morale. Looks like this is the first time in the siege that Tarkalor's gate falls so the defenders get a rude shock and have to sort out their squabbles to retake it.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/