Re: Trickster magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:44:52 -0000

> >They can push their luck and get thane's weregild (or better)
from
> >Kallyr, though the cost may be that they piss her off.
>
> Not only her, but also her clan as she's not going to have enough
> money personally.

She doesn't seem to *have* a clan. A tribe, yes. I suspect all those very loyal Vingans would rally round at this point. Or Broyan might step in. Pissing off all of that lot sounds to me like a very bad idea.

Of course, not having a clan to hand is unusual. The PCs probably *do* have one somewhere. I suspect it's about to be subject to raiding: roughly a "thane's weregild" worth of cows, at a guess. To be handed back to the PCs, clan marking on their ears still intact, and see if they dare to object.

> >Perhaps a better route is to get a much lesser compensation and
> >watch as Kallyr publicly humiliates Elusu as she beats the
> crap out of him.

Which she doesn't do very often, if only because Insterid or Offir usually get in first. More often, she's protecting him from them.

> >Or do they chicken out and say it is OK, they didn't realise that
> >Elusu was so important to her? Of course, that carries the risk
of
> >loss of reputation in front of Kallyr and their peers.
>
> From the way Jane has written Kallyr that's going to piss her off
> worse than demanding weregild.

"Piss off" is perhaps the wrong phrase.

> I don't think she'd have any respect
> for anyone who made a public fuss and then backed down when faced
> with tough opposition.

Exactly. Contempt is what you'd get, not anger.

> She'd probably encourage Elusu to torment
> that person in preference to others with more guts.

I doubt if she'd bother. After that display, they're just not worth taking that much notice of. She doesn't have huge quantities of free time, after all. But of course if Elusu decided to take revenge, she wouldn't bother stopping him, either.