Re: Re: The Watchful House of Saint Gaspodi

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:24:00 +0200 (CEST)

RRoderick:
> I notice that the fall of Boldhome didn't have the same level of magic > used - no meteors, no magical ramps (no disappearing defenders).

I'll yield you only the last criterion (Hofstaring leaping out doesn't really count).

Otherwise, there are parallels:

The Household of Death led the defense of Boldhome. The Women, children, and old were sent out of the city over the rough mountains through secret paths,
<<<

Kallyr's agenda.

although many chose to remain behind and defend their city. It was a desperate struggle and during the siege word ame of the defeat of the Poljoni by Praxians. Two reinforcing armies from Kethaela were destroyed at Caroman Pass and Quackford. The garrison, the last free folk of Sartar, waited for the final assault alone.
<<<

At Whitewall, the Lunars even pushed the invasion into Kethaela during the siege.

The garrison fought like fiends. The magical energies were so raw that the lowliest in spirit could taste them in the air. <<<

This cannot be said for the first 8 seasons of the siege of Whitewall, excepting the BatBlat.

The Crimson Bat lifted slowly from Runegate and soared towards Boldhome to repeat its horrifying meal. When a dragon appeared the defenders were disheartened, but the monster instead destroyed the Crimson Bat. <<<

Now here's a parallel. Who summoned the dragon? How?

Both monsters were destroyed. The earth shook until Orlanth's wife laid her hand upon it to still it. Fires, both red and silver, sprinkled from the sky as chanting soldiers raced up magically created ramps over the city walls. [Compare the Seven of Vistur's magical ramp at the Siege of Whitewall]
<<<

Sounds awfully similar to the seven meteor strikes.

Priestesses of the Red Moon scaled impossible cliffs over Two-tree Peak, supported by their sisters below and on the distant Red Moon. Once atop the mountain, they glided towards the Orlanth temple, blasting all foes with deadly spells. A handful of thanes and winds flew to meet them, whirling with weapons aloft. Body parts fell, and souls twisted into agony and obscurity. The moon gained scars from that. <<<

Not possible at Whitewall, since the Fellmoor is too far away for this stunt.

Harsalter the Terrible, the son of the Prince, met the emperor in single combat and gave him a fatal wound. That could have won the day except that the dying emperor slid past his defenses and forced the boy to break a geas which killed him.
<<<

One reason why the leading Lunar magician was taken out. Not known (yet) for Whitewall, but why not allow Tatius a good showing?

Dragonewts, hired at some inhuman cost,
<<<

Magic?

finally stormed over the wall and entered the city in force. They profaned the Temple of Sartar and fired the royal palace. The spirits of the temple were driven out, the magical power stolen or polluted, and the Flame of Sartar quenched, battered, and cursed by superior magic. Although it occasionally sputtered for years afterward, the fire of the land was effectively dead.
<<<

The Fall of Boldhome wasn't a prolonged siege, either, unless you count the magical siege beginning already with Terasarin's death by Moonbeam (courtesy of the Tarsh College of Magic and Moirades) and the hinderances in Salinarg's Crowning.

Boldhome was quite spectacular, too...