Re: UN inspectors, the multi-national force

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:57:51 GMT

In message <003e01c473a5$528766e0$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>I like this idea. Not only do we have factions within the Lunars and
>factions within the Orlanthi, all conspiring against each other, it
>gives us another faction that's a Lunar/Orlanthi mix.
>
>But, I don't see Fereshori Rastillia and Kallyr getting together for a
>cup of tea, lovely picture though it is. Yes, there's cooperation, but
>on the Lunar side at least the leadership is anonymous. Even the Lunars
>agents (PCs) helping won't know who on their side is really behind it.
>At least, that's the plan! Unless of course PC agents on Tatius' side
>find out. Or PC agents on F.R.'s side find out and get careless. Or
>Orlanthi find out (yes, they do have spies in the camp), and for some
>reason let the information get loose.

Definitely, Fereshori Rastillia will have at least two people between her and any dodgy goings on. If the Lunar PCs are reasonably bright they should guess that she's somehow behind it but they won't have any evidence and don't meet her. She absolutely must have plausable deniability for everything which is why her own troops are not directly involved. That's what PCs are for - doing the dirty work no one wants to admit to.

The other thing is that the Orlanthi, certainly at a PC level, *don't* understand Lunar politics. So the Lunars are doing strange and apparently contradictory things for inexplicable reasons. They'll pick up the main factions but they won't understand why sometimes two factions work together at times while opposing each other on other occassions. Especially as many of the differences in factions are philosphical rather than practical or family based.

>So the PCs who are helping get the non-combatants out don't just have to
>guard these people against Lunar ambushes. That would be too easy. They
>have to figure out why some Lunar ambushes turn their backs and start
>whistling when they approach, and why it's only some of them that do
>this, and which ones, and WTF is going on. And as soon as they report
>back, they're co-opted into the Orlanthi intelligence service.

I'm not sure it's as blatent as that, I think it's more that they are told to follow a certain route at a certain time and for some strange reason the Lunar patrols they would normally expect to meet aren't there. And when, being PCs, they don't follow instructions it all goes horribly wrong. Then they get rescued by people who appear to be Lunars and are.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/