The Tale of the Ammonites

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:08:01 -0000

A young merman posed a question, "Storyteller I know much of the beasts of the sea. I know of the fish and the boneless ones. I know of the other air breathers who live here with us. I know of our enemies and our friends. I even know of the octopi and the squids. But what of those creatures that seem to be kin to the octopi but which have hard shells? What of them? Whose kin are they and why do they seem to hide all the time? They flit about in the deeps and if you do see them it's only from the corner of your eyes as they dash away?"

The storyteller gave what would have been considered a sigh among air breathers. "Those are the ammonites. They are a mark of shame in the Sea. They are the kin of the octopi and squids. Unlike them though they once bore long, straight shells. They raced speedily through the seas. They were living weapons of the sea gods and were most potent against our foes. This made them most proud. But then a spawn of fallen Heler did battle with the waves. The ammonites and other sea creatures raced to battle him. But he slew many of the sea creatures and the ammonites themselves he snatched from the waves. This despite their speed. These he curled up into balls and flung back at their kin! Since then all the ammonites have borne the hated rune of the Air and have hid their shame in the depths of the Sea."

Oliver