Re: Legates et al.

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:01:50 -0000

Nick:
> I rather doubt there was a Yelmic precursor to this (common
membership
> in a unifying *military* cult).

It's funny, because as a great fan of Anglo-Indian history, I'm a real believer in the form and abilities of the Yanafal cult as an agent of proselytization, one that I don't really think has been covered before.

Spreaders of the Moonie Way have frequently been modelled as of the levitating bald chick potential weirdo peacenik-type, or joyously sinister Jesuit intrigue-peddlers in 'Shogun'-type. To my knowledge, the Yanafali have really been ear-marked as real Lunar missionaries.

Yet I think they're perfect. Whether it's "The Man Who Would Be King" or the Europeanisation of Maratha armies in the later 18th C, there's no better way to ingratiate yourself with a foreign culture than to help them win a war against their deadliest enemies.

With their curious and oh-so-often-effective yet flexible military magics, wandering Yanafali can train and drill troops in Lunar tactics and magic, wielding them into a force that might very well be more effective. And all the while demonstrating the power of the Red Moon.

Some might be disposed of by ungrateful and concerned potentates, yet others might find seed. It's also a good mini-campaign opportunity for a group of Lunar players, including Yanafali.

Cheerio,

Stu.