RE: Something completely different

From: Simon Miller <simon.miller_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:12:50 +0100

I think that the below is very good; if I understand correctly, many of the legates are political appointees rather than full time soldiers (as with the Roman army), and are allocated to tasks (security of the camp; control of the left wing in battle) rather than commanding a number of regiments grouped into a brigade for a long period of time.

The number of legates would presumably increase in proportion to the size of the force in the field; and there would need to be a mechanism to establish their relative seniority in order to avoid clashes of command; phases of the moon would be a good system of rank.

I wonder, though, whether there might be a more Gloranthan term than legate
(carries the baggage of legion with it)?

Simon
simon.miller_at_...