RE: Re: Something completely different

From: Paul Anderson <carlalef_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:59:07 -0400

>>I must confess I couldn't think of an appropriate title...

>This is someone to whom chunks of a job are delegated?

That's what 'legatus' means, anyone to whom parts of a job are delegated - preferably at a distance from their boss. Military legates are so called as a specific use of the term for a job which din't have any other title.

Another possibility for staff positions, would be strategus, since the Athenian strategoi often generalled by committee. Epistrategus, perhaps, for someone not in the chain of command.

'Rector' is someone who directs; hence its use as one of several terms for "governor" after Diocletian. But I agree we shouldn't use it here.

>"Rector" has this meaning, I think. And the "normal" functions
>associated with the word are so non-military that I don't think there
>would be any confusion that we might have really meant that instead.

The Lunar Empire should have, as general terms for VIPs, Legates AND Counts AND Emperor's Friends; and at least one Legate should be empowered to command all Counts, and conversely. The use of Chaos as an administrative technique...

Paul MacLean Anderson
pmanderson_at_...
pmaclanderson_at_...

Be a Quidnunc: