RE: FW: Re: Something completely different

From: Paul Anderson <carlalef_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:31:14 -0400

Several notes on this:
  1. This is, at best, the Irripi Ontor approach to military organization. Ascepiodotus is the oldest surviving of a series of philosophers who had never seen a phalanx, but wrote about hoplite tactics under the Roman Emperors (ignoring the legion entirely) as a demonstration that Real Philosophers can Understand Anything.

The Loeb translator cites this passage about troop organization (in particular the insistence that the perfect army contains exactly 16384 soldiers [Gmyrkin slipped]) as being the most obvious case of armchair generalship.

2) This whole system is designed on the Macedonian sarissa and the 16-man file (lochos). with units of two, four, and eight files, up to a unit, the syntagma, of 16 files, which is a square and can pivot in place. [The alleged point of the binary is so any unit can double its depth or its width at commandl, without inducing confusion. The real point is probably Platonic perfection.]

How deep are Lunar phalanges? I've seen published evidence for seven, eight, and ten, not sixteen.

3) I don't care for borrowing any ancient system exactly; the Lunars have always had a not-quite-Latin, not-quite-Greek spaghetti-Imperial-movie flavor to me, and I like it.

4) If we are going to glom on to Greek terms, I would use the straight decimal terms dekarch, hekatontarch, chiliarch, myriarch [with units dekarchy, etc.] for the Dara Happan system, and interpolate lochos/file/lochagos, taxis/taxiarch, syntagma/syntagmarch for Lunar innovations.

(Asclepiodotus has several supernumerary non-coms for each reigment: a signaler, a bugler, a runner, a rank-closer... The Lunars should (surely?) have seven of these.)

Paul MacLean Anderson
pmanderson_at_...
pmaclanderson_at_...

Be a Quidnunc: