Re: Mile-throw javelins

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:03:54 -0700

> "That's where my javelin landed, and I say it's a mile!" (stamps foot)
>
> But it *is* in the Roolz. Only fair to point it out.

And normally *I'm* the one pointing out rules.

Considering the difficulty of determining exactly a mile without instruments (counting paces only works if you have a steady stride, and know how many of *your* paces to a mile (since paces vary from person to person...), saying "I threw it a mile" works for me.

Of course, you normally throw a javelin to hit something, not for distance, so even if the target is less than a mile away you'll still have a normal chance to hit it. (The Roolz don't say anything about the flight path of the javelin during the flight, so you can say "It streaks away at chest height, skewering enemies like a giant shish-kabab until it reaches the end of its mile" if you want - just be sure to pay the penalty for "multiple opponents")

RR
- Richelieu