Re: Re: Story Seeds/Scenario Ideas

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:03:48 GMT

In message <20040902112114.69222.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Jane=20Williams?= writes:
> --- Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...> wrote:

>> I seem to recall that the Bat was supposed to have
>> been called by
>> Broyan doing a "Summons of Evil"? Did I misremember?
>
>This theory was expressed, and argued strongly
>against. AFAIK, the real reason the Bat turns up is
>purely a Lunar decision. I couldn't tell you *which*
>Lunar, but it was not the fault of anyone on the
>Orlanthi side.

I don't think anyone knows which Lunar caused the Bat to turn up or why, particularly after the event - you're going to *admit* to losing a major magical weapon?

Posibilities include:
The senior bat priest - he's dead and beyond resurrection. Tatius - to show Fazzur and Jorkandros how it's done then makes sure they're blamed for the failure.
Jorkandros - I don't think he's enough influence. Fazzur - Doesn't really make sense, WW isn't important enough to him. The Emperor - why? he's delegating all the details of war. Someone else who just didn't want the Bat near them.

>They may well have done a Summons of
>Evil, but I personally don't believe it caused the
>Bat. It may have accelerated it, though...

Isn't this one of the mythical co-incidences which occur in Glorantha. Everyone thinks they're working on their own plans and then something happens which fits but is not what they expected.

>Hmm, we had riots as people *try* to leave the city.
>What was stopping them? The Lunars (most likely),
>Broyan (why?), or just that the gates aren't wide
>enough to cope with the rush?

The main routes out of the city are blocked by Lunars and the others just aren't big enough to cope with the rush. Plus there's always someone who just *has* to take an oxcart with the heirloom bed and grandma's best linen.

The rioting is because someone believed they were being prevented from leaving. Again anyone could be held responsible by the mob.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/