RE: Re: Lunars in Orlanthi HQs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:03:54 GMT

In message <000601c4a0ca$ecac76a0$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> [Theogenes]
>> Trying to persuade him to repeat something
>> that worked will probably be difficult.
>
>Sounds like fun!
>
>> As to how it works it's something to do with using essences to
>> force gods, daimons and spirits out of the mortal world.
>
>Nice idea!

It's just an idea, I don't understand the metaphysics of Gloranthan magic well enough to understand whether it's feasable.

>> So he's probably not going to be encountered on the god
>> plane, but when heroquesters try and bring the benefits back
>> to the mortal world they encounter unexpected opposition.
>
>So we're going to get people trapped on the hero-plane and needing
>rescue. Sounds great!

Yep, and what's trapping them is something which doesn't fit in the theistic understanding of the world.

>Do you think he could be "sucked into" HQs as the opposition? If so, how
>would he react? Research opportunity?

The problem is that he would be a sorcerer on the god plane, I think getting him there would involve beating otherworld modifiers. It might also drag the heroquestors into the essence plane which would certainly screw up the HQ. A third possibility is that it opens up a way from the essence plane to the god plane and I'm not sure what effect that would have.

So I don't think it would happen accidently but it could be made to happen with all the risks of experimental HQing.

>> I hadn't thought of this but it fits....and also explains the
>> Windstop - it's one of his research projects. He manages to
>> force Orlanth out of the mortal world, at least for a time.
>> That's why no one thought about the consequences, he was the
>> only person who really understood what was he was trying to
>> do and he was focussed on "Can I really do this with a major god?"
>
>I believe we were working on the theory that at least some of the
>Orlanthi *did* understand what was going on, and were prepared to take
>that result and escalate from it.

True, I was thinking more from a Lunar viewpoint. Even so the Orlanthi don't have to understand what's going on to predict the results - a visionary could easily see that if WW falls the winds will stop without relating it to the machinations of a Lunar sorcerer.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/