RE: Accents (was [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: literacy)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:22:37 +0100

> For some reason, IMG I've always personally imagined Volsaxi as
> having long moustaches

For some reason, so have I. But then my vision of the Volsaxi started with the "so backward they still use chariots" concept, and picked up various Ancient Brit wargames miniatures from there. The little chap with the Battersea Shield, and so on.

(football references snipped as I understood about 1 word in 10)

> > I'd thought accent-placement shoud be determined by the phrase "In
> > Oopland Marsh baht'at". But Volsaxi - Broyan, as played by Brian
> > Blessed, but with a Yorkshire accent - you know, it works.
>
> I just like to correct one slight error on the part of our dear
> Southern colleagues, with especial view to the common association
> of 'Northern' English accents to the more benighted and barbaric
> elements of Dragon Pass. There are other such accents than the
> Yorkshire lilt.

Yes, I know. But Ilkley Moor is in Yorkshire. I checked.

http://www.ilkley.yorks.com/ilkley-moor.html

> Only the cowering, occupied and collaborating Heortling peoples show
> any pretensions to Yorkshire accents. The free and brave peoples
> fighting the Moonie aggressors actually display a variety of thick
> Lancashire accents.

I'd happily believe you, but I'm sorry, any Kallyr stories I write will not have any Lancashire accents, because I simply can't write one in a convincing manner (or even in an unconvincing manner). I'll see if I can get some red roses into Kheldon legends for you, if that would help.