RE: Accents (was [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: literacy)

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:39:51 -0700

FWIW, I don't think Heortlander *sounds* anything like English. We know it has lots of *r*, *l*, *n(d)(th)*, *th*, and *kt* sounds. Probably lots of rolling "l"s and "r"s. Lots of stops, fricative, and liquid consonents. Don't really know what Real World language is comparable (Nick - any ideas?).

More to the point, as a West Coast American, none of those accents do it for me. Yorkshire, Lancashire or other Northern English dialects mean very little to me, other than they are pretty much unintelligible and inexplicable.

Jeff