Accents (was [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: literacy)

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:42:46 -0000

> (Nick's right, though. They're accents, not dialects, as I
> understand the distinction. Same vocab and grammar, mostly,
> just different pronounciation.)

Googling for yorkshire dialect turns up loads of stuff: http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/dialect/ looks like a good taster.

I learn while googling that our good friend Mike Cule helped Marcus Rowland with his seminal article on Mummerset (cut from "Green and Pleasant Land," printed in White Dwarf "back when it was a proper magazine"TM).

Anyway... Scots is a language (related to English); and Glaswegian *appears* to be an incomprehensible accent, but may be a dialect (or a language) as well. Alex Ferguson will know (and if he *writes* his answer down, we may even understand it :-)

Cheers, Nick