Re: Re: 1619 - the first few weeks

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:49:21 -0700

> I'm a bit dubious about there being a "Heortling High Command" at
> this point, I think it's just the Volsaxi tribal ring with a few
> outsiders like Kallyr. Indeed the reason she's there could be that
> she brought Broyan the information that a Lunar army was on the way.

That's why it's in quotes :-). Clansmen will report seeing the column(s) to their chief, scattered herobands (like, say, the heroes' own) will notice, etc. Word will filter up to the rebel leaders. I certainly wouldn't dignify the Sartarite/Heortling resistance as having a centralised high command, but Kallyr, Broyan, Argrath (whatever your local incarnation), etc. will hear of it. Word will sprad through the hills faster than the army marches - even faster than Imperial Couriers, it wioll seem like.

A few scattered groups might be picked off by rebels as they make their way to assembly points, but as the columns gain units there will be less and less of that nonsense. But there may always be the occasional sniper (hunters work well in that role), as well as nuisance "bombing runs" by fliers/cloudriders (staying well above average Arrow range, and making sure that any "air cover" the columns have is elsewhere).

The Baggage train will be a prime target, if it's not guarded constantly. A swift attack by riders/runners from one direction to draw off the guards, and another party to actually raid the wagons (or just burn them, but they are full of good stuff - food, clothing, gold, the commanding officer's wine cellar and concubines, maybe even cattle!)

Good reading for this sort of thing is the British Invasions of Afghanistan through the Khyber Pass (and, of course, the humiliating retreat from Kabul by Elphy Bey in the first Afghan war, but that's better for after the DragonRise, when the Lunars decide to go North...).

RR
- Richelieu